Anyone above the age of 35 will recognise the characters that this next slot is based upon. Thundercat’s was the cartoon favourite of many people growing up in the 80’s. Thankfully for them Blueprint Gaming decided to revisit the cult classic. Featuring animations straight from the cartoon itself, the game is sure to excite those playing as well as bring back great childhood memories too.
Thundercat’s is a 5-reel, 30 fixed pay line slot offering a lower than usual RTP of 95.5% for players. Your reel is set in quite a spacious screen, with the reels taking up the lower half and the upper half saved for the feature. But whilst you wait for the feature to activate, it holds images of the different Thundercat’s characters. Symbols in the game include the Thundercat’s weapons as well as the usual card symbols. You will see the characters too, but they are part of the feature triggers which we will explain below. High paying symbols are the Thundercat’s logo, sword, knives, car and surfboards. With low value symbols being the A, K, Q and J, which have been designed to look metallic and in keeping with the theme. As well as images from the cartoon you will hear the characters voices speaking every so often, along with music found in the cartoon.
Bet Amounts – Betting on Thundercat’s begins at 40p per spin and can be increased up to a mammoth £500 per spin. In order to change your bet, click on the money symbol at the left of the spin button. It will now expand a bet screen on top of the reels with various bet amounts for you to pick from. Once you have chosen your bet, click the x symbol to close the bet screen and return to the game.
Wild Symbol – One of the main characters is your wild symbol and that character is none other than Tygra! The Tygra wild will substitute for all other symbols in the game except the scatter.
Scatter Symbol – Your scatter symbol is the orange and red Thundercat’s emblem. Landing three or more of the scatter anywhere on the reels will trigger the bonus spins feature for you.
Thundercat’s Modifier Feature – As mentioned previously the space above the reels is held for the character images and they each have a hand in triggering a special feature. When you begin the game, any one of the special characters will be chosen for you. After that if you land one of the character symbols on reel 5, you will activate that modifier and the relating feature.
- Lion-O – when triggered Lion-o’s sword will land on reel 3 and will award random wilds to the reels.
- Panthro – after Panthro is triggered reels will lock together at random and all symbols on those reels will transform into matching symbols. A minimum of 2 reels will lock together up to a maximum of all 4 reels.
- Cheetara – when Cheetara lands on the reels she will turn wild and award extra random wilds to the reels too.
- Tygra – after any initial wins are paid out, any wilds in view will now expand to fill the reel they are on. New wins will now be calculated and awarded.
- Wily-Cat – x2 stacked wilds will be added to the reels and a x2 multiplier awarded to any wins completed.
- Snarf – after any losing round with any of the character modifiers, Snarf can appear to turn that loss into a win.
When a character symbol is triggered it is important to note that you won’t have that modifier trigger on every spin. It will trigger at random on any spin and can change at any time when a character symbol lands on reel 5.
Thunder Reel Feature – This is an interesting twist to the game, and it will trigger at random at any point. When it does trigger it will expand the reels from 4 to 8 and in turn increasing the potential win count and pay lines up to 40!
Bonus Spins Feature – Having landed three or more of the scatter symbols anywhere on the reels, you will trigger the bonus spins feature. You will now be given the chance to spin the thunder wheel to select which bonus spins feature you will play from the following:
- Mumm-Ra Spins – awards 10 bonus spins with any wilds that land being collected in the Mumm-Ra bank. Once the spins are over, the reels will expand to 8 rows and a final spin is awarded and it will include all the wilds collected being placed back onto the reels at random.
- Slithe Spins – awards 10 bonus spins with wilds turned into sticky symbols. Meaning, all wilds that land will remain in place until the end of the round. If you fill a reel with wild symbols you will be allocated 5 extra spins to your total.
- Monkian Spins – awards 10 bonus spins with Monkian symbols falling onto the reels and transforming the symbols it lands on into wild symbols. If you land a Thundercat’s logo symbol anywhere on reel 5, you will be awarded 5 extra spins to your total.
- Jackalman Spins – awards 10 bonus spins with any wild symbol in view awarding up to a x10 multiplier. If there are multiple wilds in view, each one will award a separate multiplier which will be accrued and applied to all wins in view. Land a thunder cats logo on reel 5 and you will be allocated with x5 extra bonus spins to your total.
- Ultimate Thunder Spins – the rows will be increased from 4 to 8 and you will be awarded 5 bonus spins to play. You will also have stacked wilds added to reels 1, 3 and 5 for the duration of the spins.
If you land four scatter symbols on the reels, the Jackalman spins will be removed from the reels. But, land 5 symbols and enter the Ultimate Thunder Spins immediately, without having to spin the wheel. Once your spins feature has been chosen you will be given the chance to gamble it, meaning you can spin again in a bid to land a different feature.
Thundercat’s was everything we thought it would be and we thank Blueprint Gaming for bringing it back to us. Many memories of childhood days spent watching the Thundercat’s battle evil, were remembered through the spinning of this slot. But, memories aren’t all we got, there was lot of wins made in the base game. Especially when that thunder reel kicked in and expanded the rows to 8 from 4. The addition of the character modifiers was an interesting take, but we would have liked to have seen them be more active and animated than they were. It took some time for the bonus spins feature to trigger which got a bit tiresome. But when it did finally land, we found it to be quite an enjoyable round. With all the different features on offer it kept things fresh each time the bonus triggered.