Welcome to the pole, we aren’t quite sure if it is the north or south as our compass got broken along the way. But we do know it is very cold, so you will need to wrap up warm. IGT have created a visually stunning slot for players, based around the theme of cold, ice and well diamonds, lots and lots of diamonds. Are you ready to brave the Icy Wilds with us, if so get those snow shoes on and let’s get looking for treasure?
Icy Wilds is a 5-reel, 50 fixed pay line slot offering a chilling RTP that varies between 92.15% and 96.15%. Set against what looks like the Aurora Borealis, the reels are full of shining trinkets and animals that live in this cold climate. We were waiting for some kind of tinkling sparkling tune to play along to but were a little let down with the sounds so we switched those straight off. Symbols include a diamond ring, tiara and brooch for the higher value and an owl, a tiger and an ermine for the lower values.
Bet Amounts – Betting on Icy Wilds begins at £50 per spin here and can be increased to a whopping £5,000, so this game is not for those of you that like the quick fix plays. Icy Wilds means business and the stakes just goes to show it. You can amend your stake by hitting the total bet button to the left of the reels and choose from the sliding scale your desired amount.
Wild Symbol – In Icy Wilds the way the wild symbol works is slightly different and will be explained in full below. But the wild symbol when it does appear is all encased in ice and will expand to fill the whole reel with the word wild in bright pink, just in case you miss it! It will substitute for all other symbols except the scatter.
Scatter Symbol – A game set in the cold snowy regions wouldn’t be the same without a polar bear would it? Luckily for you the polar bear is your scatter symbol on Icy Wilds and landing 3 or more anywhere on the reels will trigger the bonus spins for you.
Wild Rule Feature – With the wild symbol there is a little twist in how it works. Instead of random wilds landing willy nilly, your wild symbols will only arrive after you have landed a full reel of one of the 6 main symbols. So, land a stack of the tiara, ring, brooch, owl, tiger or ermine to trigger the wild. The way it works is simple, the reel of symbols you land will turn completely wild on the next spin, but after that they will return to normal. The way the reels are set out though means you could potentially have 2 or 3 reels turned completely wild all at once.
Bonus Spins Feature – Again there is a little twist with the bonus spins round in Icy Wilds that you may not see elsewhere. To trigger the feature, you do still need at least a minimum of x3 polar bear scatter symbols anywhere in view. However, due to the layout of the reels you can earn bonus spins on as many as x20 polar bear scatter symbols in view. We have outlined the spins per bear below to clear things up:
- three bear scatter symbols will award 10 bonus spins,
- four bear scatter symbols will award 12 bonus spins,
- five bear scatter symbols will award 14 bonus spins,
- six bear scatter symbols will award 16 bonus spins,
- seven bear scatter symbols will award 18 bonus spins,
- eight bear scatter symbols will award 20 bonus spins,
- nine bear scatter symbols will award 22 bonus spins,
- ten bear scatter symbols will award 24 bonus spins,
- eleven bear scatter symbols will award 26 bonus spins,
- twelve bear scatter symbols will award 28 bonus spins,
- thirteen bear scatter symbols will award 30 bonus spins,
- fourteen bear scatter symbols will award 32 bonus spins,
- fifteen bear scatter symbols will award 34 bonus spins,
- sixteen bear scatter symbols will award 36 bonus spins,
- seventeen bear scatter symbols will award 38 bonus spins,
- eighteen bear scatter symbols will award 40 bonus spins,
- nineteen bear scatter symbols will award 42 bonus spins,
- twenty bear scatter symbols will award 44 bonus spins.
You can retrigger the bonus spins during the round up to a maximum of 250 spins total, so that can prove to be very rewarding. Not only that, but in the bonus spins round extra random wilds are added to the reels during play, so watch out for those popping up.
As you may have figured out there isn’t too much going on within Icy Wilds. However what IGT have done is create a simple, elegant and easy game to play through, funds dependant of course. If you do have the balance to sustain this game, then you are going to be in for a great time as the wins do happen more often than you would think. Get yourself a few stacks of wilds and that’s where the big wins come in and again it can happen often. We did find the bonus spins were harder to trigger on the larger scale but easier to land on the lower end. That aside once the spins began, we forgot about the injustice and continued to play on with a retrigger happening one or twice to appease us, then were happy once again.