Boku Slots is an affiliation website. We help you find gambling sites where you can play with real money.
Many or all of the products and brands featured here are from our partners who compensate us. This may influence how the product or brand appears on a page. However, this does not influence our evaluations. Our opinions are our own.
The information on this page, including operator and game details, is updated regularly but subject to change.
Release the Kraken is an under the sea themed slot, designed by the team at Pragmatic Play with pirates treasure, sharks and lots of features to keep you busy. So, don your best diving gear as we get ready to brave the depths of the ocean looking for the treasure the kraken has stolen.
Release the Kraken is a 5-reel, 20 pay line slot that offers players an RTP of 96.50%. The reels have been submerged beneath the ocean waves and spin transparently against the backdrop of a sunken ship and the ocean floor. They are packed with cute fishy characters, crates and card symbols too. Higher paying symbols are the brown crate with the gold anchor in front of it, the shark, turtle, blue fish and green fish. Lower paying symbols are the A, K, Q and the J, each one brightly coloured and with scale designs on them to fit in with the under the sea theme.
As your reels spin there is a ticking sound which settles as reel lands. This is loud enough to be heard over the music track playing in the background. We found this to be very off putting so we did eventually switch off the sound altogether, especially when you had the addition of the kraken attack noises during the bonus features.
Bet Amounts – Betting on Release the Kraken begins at 20p per spin and can be increased to £100 per spin. If you want to amend your bet, you need to use the plus or minus symbols either side of the spin button. This will open the bet screen and you can change the coins per line, the coin value or both to adjust your bet. Use the plus and minus symbols on each section to bring your bet amount to the total you wish to play with and once happy hit spin to return to your game.
Wild Symbol – The wild symbol in Release the Kraken is a set of blue bubbles with the word wild across the front of them. They will substitute for all other symbols in the game except for the three bonus symbols.
Scatter Symbol – There is no scatter symbol in Release the Kraken. However, there are three bonus symbols instead and they bring some interesting additions to the game.
Bonus Symbols – Release the Kraken has not one, not two but three bonus symbols for you to look out for. Your three bonus symbols are the treasure chest, the ships wheel and the pirate ship. The pirate ship can only land on reels one and three, with the treasure chest and ships wheel only landing on reel 5. To trigger either of the two bonus games you need to land a ship on reels one and three, and either a ships wheel or treasure chest on reel 5.
Bonus Game Features – Once you have triggered the bonus games in Release the Kraken, either by landing the ships wheel or the treasure chest in combination with the pirate ship, you will trigger the game attached to that symbol.
- Treasure Chest Bonus – you will be taken to a new screen filled with sunken treasure chests. Here you will be required to pick from these chests revealing cash sums until you find the word collect. All sums revealed will be added to your final balance once the round is over.
- Ships Wheel Bonus – this is your bonus spins feature and it begins with a picking round to determine how many spins you will be allocated. Again, you will be presented with a choice of treasure chests, each one will reveal a number of spins within. Once you reveal the word collect, your spins will be accumulated, and you will enter the second part of the round to play through the spins. You will enter a new set of reels where your pay lines are increased to x40 and every time you land a wild symbol, it will increase your multiplier by x1. The wild symbol will also remain on the reels but will move around to new positions on every spin. The round ends once all spins have been played through and unfortunately there is no way to retrigger the spins from within the round.
Kraken Bonus Feature – At any point during the main game you may see the krakens tentacles reaching up onto the reels, with three signs saying pick me. Choose one of the tentacles to reveal a main game mini feature to be triggered as shown below.
- Kraken Locking Wilds – awards a respin round where bonus treasure chests are added to the reels on every spin. Each treasure chest will transform into either a win multiplier, a locked wild or a collect symbol. If a locked wild is revealed it will remain in place until you reveal a collect symbol, or you decide to hit the collect button yourself, which is at the side of the reels. You can hit collect after one treasure chest/wild symbol has landed or carry on until there are multiple treasure chest/ wild symbols on the reels, it is entirely up to you. Obviously, you run the chance of landing the collect symbol the longer you leave hitting it manually. Once collect has been revealed or hit, you will receive one final spin with all the locked wilds in position and a win is hopefully formed.
- Colossal Kraken Wilds – awards a giant 3×4 wild symbol at random on any position on the reels. This will in turn potentially create some larger win combinations for you.
- Infectious Kraken Wilds – will award a single wild symbol onto the reels at the beginning of every spin. However, this wild symbol will then spread to adjacent reels at random creating multiple wild symbols. These wilds are removed at the end of the spin ready for a new set of infectious wilds to begin on the next one.
Release the Kraken is not quite as scary as its namesake movie that’s for sure. There is an awful lot going on with the kraken main game features and the bonus games, which can make it a little confusing at first. But once you begin to play, it becomes much easier to follow and understand.
There are plenty of main game wins without the bonuses added in, but they are usually towards the lower end of the pay scale. Thankfully, that’s where all the extras come in and we found that with the main game extras we tended to trigger the colossal wild more often. However once or twice we did hit the infectious wild or the locking wilds, so it can be triggered, it just takes some time. The bonus games were a little harder to trigger, probably because you must have x2 ships on reels one and three and either a ships wheel or a treasure chest on reel five. Overall Release the Kraken is lots of fun and has so much going on, we loved the background moving as well as the features, so why not jump aboard and try it yourself.